Dog, (Canis familiaris) is a domestic animal belonging to the Canidae family. The dog is one of the two most common and most popular pet animals in the world (the other one is the cat). There are more than 300 dog breeds, all evolved from the common ancestors, the grey wolf. The dog was domesticated almost 12,000 years ago by humans as a hunting companion. The dog is a social animal. It prefers the company of people or of other dogs to living alone. It is, therefore, called by the animal behaviorists, a pack animal (Those animals that prefer to live in groups for their survival. They inherit this characteristic from their wild ancestors, the grey wolf. They are liked and kept as a pet throughout the world due to their faithfulness, companionship, protectiveness, and friendly behavior, especially in western countries. 강아지보험
- Signs Of Good Health In Dogs
It’s a lovely experience to have a dog at home. Once you bring a dog home, the dog is fully dependent on its owner, so it is your responsibility to keep your furry friend in a good state of health both physically and mentally. The best way to safeguard your dog’s well-being is to know the signs of good health, normal behavior, and basic needs. It is essential to know your dog as an individual. Once you understand what is normal, it will be easier to observe slight changes in the behavior or general condition that indicate potential trouble. Here are some signs of good health in dogs.
- General Appearance
The dog should be in good weight (not too fat or too thin). It should be alert, of good disposition, and interested in its surroundings.
The skin should be smooth and supple with no signs of disease, excess dandruff, or external parasites.
The hair should be glossy with natural shine. The coat should not be dry or brittle. Although breeds vary somewhat regarding coat, the condition of the hair is a reflection of the dog’s general health.
The eyes should be clear and bright. There should be no discharge, cloudiness, or over sensitivity to light.
The ears should be clean and free of any foul smell. The skin inside the ear should be pale pink. The presence of a small amount of smell is considered normal. But an excessive amount of dark wax or foul-smelling is unnatural.
The teeth should be white or nearly white. There should be no tarter deposits at the gum line or on teeth. The gum should be pink and firm. The breath should be pleasant smelling.
The nose should be cool, moist, with no discharge.
- Body Openings:
All body openings should be healthy and functioning properly with no abnormal discharge.
The dog should move smoothly and easily with no signs of lameness, stiffness, or staggering gait.
- Normal Behaviour Of Dogs
- Dogs have an amazingly well-developed sense of smell and hearing, much better than humans.
- Dogs can see in dark or dim light better than us.
- For Communication with other fellows, dogs use urine, feces, and secretions from their special scent glands. Dogs also produce a variety of sounds for transferring information, like whimpers, barks, howls, and growls.
- Dogs are very athletic and active animals and a healthy dog responds quickly to any action.
- Dogs are naturally curious and will spend much time probing and exploring.
- Dogs belong to the omnivore group of animals. They can eat food both from plant and animal origin.
- Dogs are social animals by nature and love to live in a group with other dogs and can also develop a strong bonding with humans too.
- Some dog breeds are intelligent enough to learn the name of their toys.
- Dog-like to spend their time while playing and use special signals to invite others to play crouches on its forelimbs remains standing on its hind limbs and may wave its tail or bark. This type of behavior is called the ‘play bow’.
- Warning Signs / when to Call a Vet
The best way to ensure the good health of your canine friend is to keep in close touch with him and look out regularly for any symptoms of illness. Early diagnosis and timely treatment are important to save your dog from being critical. If you are well aware of a normal healthy body and behavioral signs, you can easily identify any abnormal change. Below are some common symptoms that indicate that something wrong is happening with your pet.
- Loss of appetite
- Change in eating routines
- Excessive weight loss or gain
- Abnormal discharge from eyes, nose, ear, or other natural openings.
- Inflammation or bump in any part of the body.
- Difficult, uncontrolled, irregular, or absence of urination or defecation.
- Feel difficulty in getting up or lying down.
- Too much scratching or shaking of the head.
- Hair loss
- Bad breath
- Excess tartar on teeth or gumline.
- Open sores
- Abdominal pain
If you find any of the above signs in your pet, you should immediately consult your vet.
- Management Practices To Keep Your Dog Healthy
As it is said, “Prevention is better than cure.” So, to keep your dog healthy, it is always better to take good care of your pet and fulfill all its basic requirements. These requirements are different during different stages of life and in the absence of any of these basic needs, your pet may face some issues. So you must be well aware of what your friend needs during different stages of life, then you will be able to ensure a healthy life for him. Here we will discuss the health management of dogs during different stages of life.
- Health Care Management Of Pregnant Female Dog:
The length of gestation in a dog is 60 ±5 days (with an average of 63 days). This can vary according to breed. Small breeds normally whelp (Act of giving birth) earlier than large breeds.
- Signs Of Pregnancy:
The common signs of pregnancy are
- Enlarged abdomen, normally visible at the start of 5th week, and flank begins filling out.
- Weight begins to increase slowly in the second half of pregnancy. 애견보험비교
- From the 35th day, nipples begin to swell and stand out and may appear very pink. As the pregnancy advances the breast begins to soften and increase in size gradually.
- Bitch may become more settled and affectionate as pregnancy advances.